CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 05, 2006

movie review

If you know me at all you know that I am just wild about the work of Jane Austen, most notably Pride and Prejudice. It is one of my favorite stories for good reason: it is a timeless classic. This statement is validated by the fact that it has been made and remade in Hollywood for decades. The most recent film version of Pride and Prejudice came out last Thanksgiving, and on DVD this last Tuesday. I can't let the moment go by without adding my two cents.

In my opinion, the movie was well made and well worth watching. Although not as true to the novel as the A&E version with Colin Firth, this version was satisfying for entirely different reasons. I admit, that the first time I saw the movie in November I was sorely disappointed. I thought it had strayed too far from the novel, and I didn't care for the way some of the characters were portrayed (Mainly Elizabeth and Mrs. Bennet). However, that initial disappointment did not stop me from purchasing the DVD this week. I have since watched twice more; my opinion has changed.

It would have been ridiculous for a film maker to try and duplicate the A&E version. That film has already been made and we don't need a replicate. In this version, many of the scenes in the book are set in different locations andmuch is omitted (for time's sake I am sure...the A&E version is nearly four hours long). But here is why I have decided I like it: There is much more emotion in this version than in previous versions I have seen. This film does a remarkable job of highlighting the underlying romantic tension between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. In almost every instance, this is achieved through facial expression and subtle body movement. One of my favorite moments in the movie occurs when Mr. Darcy helps Elizabeth into her carriage upon her leaving Netherfield Park. It is early in the film - Elizabeth has gone to Netherfield Park to take care of Jane who had fallen ill. They are finally leaving, and Mr. Darcy takes Elizabeth's hand to help her into the carriage. Eliabeth is struck by the small contact (it is evident in her face) and Mr. Darcy retreats back into the house flexing his hand. It is small moments like that one that pepper this film and make it different than any other version of Pride and Prejudice that I have seen.

One of the reviews on the back of the DVD jacket calls the movie, "Lushly romantic and subtly sexy." I have to agree. If you like Jane Austen, this movie would not be a waste of your time.

0 comments: