CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Better than the original

There are certain products that according to society (I don't know who in society...just people) you are supposed to like the original, not the imitation. And there are some products which this statement would be in line with. For example, never eat imitation cheese. I had to find this out the hard way. Summer of 2002 Corri Burns and I were driving back to IL from spending the summer in the Grand Canyon. In order to save money, we bought a bunch of food to make sandwiches and other stuff on the two day drive back home. Cheese can be kind of expensive - so we bought the cheap cheese. We didn't look at the label carefully enough. I think we were somewhere in New Mexico when we stopped to have lunch at a rest stop. We make our sandwiches and start to eat. Only something was terribly wrong...The cheese was by far the worst thing that we had ever put in our mouths. We take a closer look at the label and find out that it reads "imitation cheese." Not sure exactly what it was made of...but I do know that we left it at the rest stop and ate the rest of our sandwiches without cheese (or imitation cheese as the case may be.)
However, there are certain food products where I think the imitation is better than the original. I have two examples: 1) Cranberry sauce. I like the jellied cranberry sauce that comes out of a can. I think that real cranberry sauce is gross. Give me the molded jelly any day. 2) Maple Syrup. I do not like real Vermont Maple Syrup. I just don't. Never have. Which I know, being from that state, makes me a heretic. But I would much rather have the Walmart Great Value maple syrup that contains only 2% real maple syrup and the rest is imitation whatever.
Can you think of any other cases in which the imitation is better than the original?

0 comments: