CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 07, 2007

I had a weird moment this morning. I was helping my husband study for his California POST exam and I had this strange sensation of missing studying. I flashed back to a class I took in college - History and Literature of Music - by far the class that required the most studying of any that I took in my four years there. I made some kick-butt study guides for the tests in that class. I can vividly recall sitting on the floor in my door room with three or four other girls drilling the study guide over and over. I really don't mind that kind of studying. I actually kind of miss it, truth be told.

I'm in an awkward kind of place right now. Not bad. Just awkward. Transitional, really. Our schedule at home is anything but settled and there has been a lot of change lately. I am sure that this all contributes to my feelings of awkwardness. But I have to wonder if part of it is not a failure on my part to feed my mind and my soul. I am a learner. I always have been. The last long while I have been in "get it done" mode. There has been precious little time to just learn something new. To stretch my mind some. Granted, I must take some blame for this. I have had a thousand excuses. Work. Wedding. Family. Sleep.

I have a list of hundred things I would love to learn. Or classes I would love to take. Here's a sampling...

1. I've always wanted to take violin lessons.
2. I'd love to take a photography class.
3. I love American History. I'd enjoy taking an American History class from a good teacher.
4. I should really take up voice lessons again.
5. I would love to take a creative writing class. Who knows...maybe I have a story in me.
6. I would DIE if I could take ballroom dancing.
7. Taking an English Literature class would be fun too.
8. Piano lessons would be great...

Anyway - perhaps you can relate. Are you a learner? Do you get in a funk when you get in "do" mode instead of "learn" mode?

By the way - I got a 98% in my History and Literature of Music class... :)

4 comments:

Sunny Cain said...

I totally hear you sister! I am really missing the challenge of learning too. I want to take guitar (badly), music theory, voice lessons, and you know what....I would love to take dance classes too! Peace Out

Anonymous said...

Jeanne, John & I took ballroom dancing at the Dance Academy in Minden. We had a blast!!! It was so much fun laughing at ourselves and the instructors were really nice. I know he started a new job so Friday nights may not be available, however, if your schedule coincides with the Dance Academy's schedule, you gotta check it out. It's through the Douglas County Parks and Rec. Who knows, maybe we'll see ya there.

Jeanne said...

Awesome! Thanks Deb!

Anonymous said...

I seriously think we should all take ballroom dance classes as couples! Probably Rod's worst nightmare, but I think he'd do it. I miss cramming for tests too! My favorite classes in high school were Government and Rhetoric.