CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Long Live Mr. Darcy

Jane Austen has to be one of my favorite authors of all time. And outside of my roommate, who just happens to be an English teacher and general literary buff, I think I might be one of her biggest fans. And while I love all of her works, my favorite is a no-brainier: Pride and Prejudice. Here are a few of my favorite scenes, and some of my favorite dialogue. (If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice, I'll warn you that I'm probably going to reveal the ending.)

* I couldn't talk about Pride and Prejudice and not talk about Austen's opening line: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." She masterfully sets the tone of the entire novel with this now-famous line. Even those who have never read this novel can usually identify this opening sentence.

* Chapter 11 - Where Mr. Darcy proposes for the first time: "After a silence of several minutes he came towards her in an agitated manner, and thus began, "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." "Elizabeth's astonishment was beyond expression. She stared, coloured, doubted, and was silent. This he considered sufficient encouragement, and the avowal of all that he felt and had long felt for her, immediately followed. He spoke well, but there were feelings besides those of the heart to be detailed, and he was not more eloquent on the subject of tenderness than of pride. His sense of her inferiority--of its being a degradation--of the family obstacles which judgment had always opposed to inclination, were dwelt on with a warmth which seemed due to the consequence he was wounding, but was very unlikely to recommend his suit."
Hmm...No wonder she refused him.

* The scene towards the end of the novel in which Lady Catherine, Mr. Darcy's Aunt, comes to Hartfordshire to visit Elizabeth. She has heard rumors that Elizabeth and her nephew are engaged. Her mission is to dispel those rumors.
"You can be at no loss, Miss Bennet, to understand the reason of my journey hither. Your own heart, your won conscience must tell you why I come."
Elizabeth looked with unaffected astonishment.
"Indeed you are mistaken, Madam. I have not been at all able to account for the hounour of seeing you here."
"Miss Bennet, " replied her ladyship, in an angry tone, "you ought to know, that I am not to be trifled with. But however insincere you may choose to be, you shall not find me so...A report of a most alarming nature, reached me two days ago. I was told, that not only your sister was on the point of being most adventageously married, bu that you, that Miss Elizabeth Bennet, would, in all likelihood, be soon afterwards united to my nephew, my own nephew, Mr. Darcy. Though I knew it must be a scandalous falsehood; though I would not injure him so much as to suppose the truth of it possible, I instantly resolved on setting off for this place, that I might make my sentiments known to you."
Elizabeth goes on to neither confirm nor deny the validity of the rumor. She doesn't want to give his aunt the satisfaction.

*The last scene I will mention is between Mr. Bennet and Elizabeth. Mr. Darcy has just asked for her hand, and Mr. Bennet calls Elizabeth into his office to speak to her.
Her father was walking about the room, looking grave and anxious. "Lizzy," said he, "what are you doing? Are you out of your senses, to be accepting this man? Have not you always hated him?"
How earnestly did she then wish that her former opinions had been more reasonable, her expressions more moderate! It would have spared her from explanations and professions which it was exceedingly awkward to give; but they were now necessary, and she assured him with some confusion, of her attachment to Mr. Darcy.

Ah, what a novel.

1 comments:

Elissa said...

Ah! Jeanne! I too have had a love for that book for nearly 10 years. To quote from the movie You've got mail (unfortunately) Elizabeth Bennet really is one of the greatest female characters in literature. Love. But You forgot to include the touching moment when he proposes for the second time. They are both so sweet and loving and they each want to take the blame for the past. Ah! love it and love the parts you mentioned also. I may reread it. Anyway, I'm shocked and appalled that Keira Knightley will play Elizabeth in the movie coming out. I'm not sure she can do it justice.