CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 08, 2007

mmm mmm good...

I love muffins. And lately I have been in the mood to make some. I came across a recipe for Banana Muffins and Apple Streusel Muffins that I thought I would share.

The Banana Muffin recipe I found on the Internet. I admit I changed it a little...I added brown sugar, vanilla and chocolate chips to the recipe and they tasted...well...tasty!

Banana Muffins (makes 12 muffins)
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3 large bananas mashed
1 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 cup sugar (1/2 white, 1/2 brown sugar)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Salt 1/3 cup butter, melted (you can sub 1/2 cup applesauce for healthier muffins!!)
1/2 tsp Vanilla chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat Muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter (or applesauce), vanilla in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture until smooth. Scoop in muffin tins.
3. Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


My Aunt Karen writes and published cookbooks. I was flipping through one of them the other day and came across this Apple Streusel Muffin Recipe. Turns out that it was my grandmother's recipe (she died about 10 years ago of breast cancer.) These are a lot more work than the banana muffins - but really good!

Apple Streusel Muffins (makes 12 muffins)
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp allspice
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup margarine, melted
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup apple, diced
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400. Mix flour, sugar, allspice, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda in large bowl. In another bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, butter and apple; blend well. Pour over dry ingredients and mix only until moistened. Spoon into muffin pans. Top with streusel topping and bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 tbs margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 tbs sugar

Combine all ingredients together and mix until crumbly.

Both muffins are delicious. I doubled each recipe because 12 muffins would not last 12 minutes in my house...

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Cindy and Henry said...

I have a similar recipe for banana muffins and I love them :) Did you know that you can freeze overripe bananas? I just cut off the ends and throw them in a zip lock freezer bag. When I want muffins I just thaw them on the counter. Voila! This is the closest I will ever get to Martha.

Anonymous said...

Yum... I'm getting hungry just thinking about them!! : )

Jeanne said...

Sweet! I didn't know you could freeze bananas...

Tina - next time I make some I will give you some to sample!