CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 08, 2005

Confessions

Alright...I admit it. I read the end of a book before I will commit to reading it. Some people consider this among the seven deadly sins. "What???" they exclaim in horror. "You simply can't do that. It just isn't the way it's done." But I do it anyway, and I'll tell you why.

If I don't like the way the book ends, I am not going to like the journey of getting to the end. It is just a simple fact; the biggest reason why I read the endings first. Besides, just because I know the ending doesn't mean I know how the author gets to the ending. That is fun part of reading a book anyway. The journey of getting the end. I enjoy the journey more if I know where I am going.

I spend quite a bit of money on books. Why would I want to spend 13 or 14 dollars on a book that I am not going to like reading? So when you think about it, reading the end of the book is also good stewardship. I am making sure that I am not wasting my resources on a book I will not enjoy, and therefore not read more than once.

The only exception to the rule is mystery novels. I still enjoy trying to figure out whodunit.

The group Avalon sings a song called "The Greatest Story Ever Told." The greatest story being salvation; Jesus drawing us to Himself. I got to thinking...I know the ending of this story too. Jesus has defeated Satan. My victory has been won. Ultimately God has chosen to let me read the end of His novel. That is what I call cool.

3 comments:

Brad and Lindy said...

I'm with christi on this one. When I was in high school, I wouldn't dare read the cover...let alone the end!

Brad and Lindy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I simply cannot understand why people get in such a snit over this. It seems to me that knowing the ending would only make getting there that much more interesting.