CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 08, 2006

There are several things in life that I am very particular about. Really, truth be told there are many things I am very particular about. However, my obsessive compulsive tendencies are not the point of this story.

I am very particular about my keychains. I think it goes back to the fact that I tend to be sentimental. My particularness over my keychains started on a mission trip I took in high school to inner-city Atlanta, GA. It was there that I bought a very special keychain. I had had many keychains before this. In fact, my ratio of keychains to keys was probably around 10 to 1. But this new keychain was different. It was special. It was a small plastic rectangle that had a hollow footprint in the center filled with real Georgia dirt. I bought it at Stone Mountain. Honestly, I am not sure why I became so attached to this particular piece of plastic - but I did nonetheless. I discarded all other keychains in favor of this one. And I used this keychain all the way until its little heart just gave out my freshman year of college. What was I to do? I couldn't just FIND another keychain like that one. It was special. It was unique. It was the keychain I had when I started driving. I was just supposed to replace it? I searched. I looked. Every time I was in a store I would peruse the keychain section. Perhaps something would catch my eye. Maybe today would be the day I would find the ONE. To no avail, however. It was not to be.

Spring of my freshman year we went on our Week of E trips. My friend Christi was going to Puerto Rico. My wheels started turning. Maybe she would find a suitable replacement for me there. So I charged her with the duty of searching Puerto Rico for the perfect keychain. I was very specific. Something simple. Something small (afterall, at this time I had a lot of keys. Everything on campus locked...and everything required a different key). And above all, it must be something wonderful.

Success! She returned with exactly what I had been looking for. It was a clear rectangular plastic keychain with that said "Puerto Rico" on it and had the Puerto Rican flag. My search was over. I could stop looking. I could rest easy.

Until this week.

My sister recently took a weekend trip to San Francisco. "I bought you a present," she said. "It's nothing big." But hey, a present is a present - right? Gasp! It was a keychain. A little silver bear that has arms and legs that move. It's very nice. "Will you use it?" she asks me. "Yes, of course I'll use it. It is a very nice keychain." But my mind was reeling. I had a keychain. Was God asking me to retire my Puerto Rican find? Dilemma.

I hung Mr. Bear (That is what I am calling him) on my key hook by my front door. I of course could not make a rash decision about this. I have to think. I have to get used to him. Decide if he will be a loyal keychain like the others. But he was staring at me. Every time I would walk by he would call out: "Jeanne, use me. It's ok." How can you argue with a talking keychain? So yesterday I replaced my trusty Puerto Rico keychain with Mr. Bear. I still have Puerto Rico. He now holds my extra house and car key. I figure I can always take him back if Mr. Bear turns out to be a fraud.

Like I said...very particular.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello...pot calling the kettle black.

Anonymous said...

You are also NOT funny

Anonymous said...

oh, I don't know. I still remember your tunnel-train-headlights comment in Theory that one day with Sue. That was pretty funny.