CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Captain Planet - He's our hero


Anyone remember the cartoon Captain Planet? My sister Heather loved that show, and so it was on regularly in our house. I can still sing the theme song: "Captain Planet, he's our hero. Gonna cut pollution down to zero." The premise of the show was that these kids had rings that had the power of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, and so on...and when the world was in danger of some sort of pollution they would use their powers collectively to defeat the bad guys. With the exception of the catchy theme song the show really was pretty lame. Anyway, I was thinking about this TV show today because I got the results of a personality profile that I had to take for work - the Laurie Beth Jones Path Elements Profile. This profile classifies you as Earth, Water, Wind, or Fire - or some combination of those elements. My primary element is Earth.

I actually enjoy taking these personality/behavioral profiles. Perhaps it is narcissistic, but it is interesting to read about myself. The most fun is when the profile is really accurate. In this case, Laurie Beth Jones was spot on. Let me share a bit of what she had to say about me:

"Earth tends to do particularly well in accomplishing tasks and getting results. Motivation is based on a desire for an orderly process that leads to accuracy. Likes to stay focused in order to 'get it right.' An Earth's behavioral style reminds us of the traits of Earth: steady, predictable, foundational, solid, secure."

She had this to say on my view of authority:

"Earth respects authority because of its need for order and balance but will resist authority that demands ethical or legal compromise. Tends to know and live by rules, and enforces boundaries in its work and personal relationships." (Very true - I have always seen the world as black and white. Very few shades of grey.)

On stress:

"Earth can become stressed by disorder, chaos, and by concerns about the unknown. There is a strong need to have clear goals, order and time to plan and verify, while avoiding impulsive decisions and spontaneous actions. Tends not to discuss its worries but frets quietly. Becomes cold and distant when stressed." (ouch - horrible but true.)

I found the description of my relationships particularly interesting...

"Earth does not trust readily or easily but is capable of developing deep and lasting friendships. Builds quality realtionships over time, based on demonstrated integrity and mutual respect. Expects and gives loyalty." (A quick glance at those closest to me will reveal this particular aspect of my personality pretty much a direct hit.)

The actual profile was pages long. Those were just a couple of interesting exerpts. I believe that everyone can benefit from taking these personality/behavior profiles. First of all, they are just good old-fashioned fun. But more importantly, I think it can put into words aspects of our behavior that we may or may not have already identified, but perhaps couldn't quite put into words. It's like when you read a book and the character of the story says something that you just feel in your bones but have never been able to say eloquently. You have this "Aha!" moment as you read it thinking, "That is exactly what I have been trying to say for years." These profiles are moments of forced self-evaluation, which, every once in a while is a good thing.

4 comments:

Brad and Lindy said...

I, a fellow narcissist, thoroughly enjoy profile tests. The only kind of test I have ever liked, really. There are no wrong answers.

Jeanne said...

Ah, how true. You automatically get an "A."

Brad and Lindy said...

Yeah, and if someone else points out your negative characteristics, you have a whole list of theirs to throw back in their face.

wow. I'm mature.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...I had totally forgotten about. Obviously, you haven't.