CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Days of Old...

Last night I ran sound for the Douglas High School Senior Awards Night (They used our auditorium). Their Jazz Band played for about 45 minutes before the program began. They were actually pretty good. Not since I graduated high school six years ago have I missed playing my instruments so much. My heart squeezed with all the memories. I don't have very many memories of high school that don't include band, choir, or chamber ensemble.

But mostly band.

My mind replayed a hundred different scenes while they were playing: Touring around to the different grade schools and giving concerts. Our trip to Florida to play at Disney. Our trip to Texas to play at Six Flags. Marching band competitions where it was a hundred degrees and I am wearing a hot, heavy band uniform. Band camp. Amoeba tag. Mr. Tallman. Watching the University of Illinois Marching Band. Mrs. Reem. The glock block. Doing countless half-time shows at Friday night football games. Long bus rides.

And as my mind plays these scenes I see the people I miss most - Laura, Lucas, Brock, Lindsey, Rusty, Darcie, Angie, Jamie. Many others. Some who I still talk with. Many more who I do not. But they still exist in my mind. Out on the practice field. Out on the football field. Up in the band room.

I love that I have these memories. I wouldn't go back to high school. But I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. I had forgotten all your Doyle stories.