CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 18, 2006

I'm Sorry...Come Again?

I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker this week. It went a little something like this:

Dave: "Jeanne, I was thinking about your wedding last night."
Jeanne: "My what?"
Dave: "Your wedding. I know you might think it's weird, but my buddy swears by EHarmony.com."
Jeanne: "Um, thanks for thinking of me...But I don't think I am quite there yet."
Dave: "Well, you should think about it. The internet is really a proven way to meet people nowadays."
Jeanne: "Um, ok. I'll keep that in mind."

He was the second staffer in as many days to mention the fact that they want to find someone "wonderful" for me. I know that some people get really offended when people try and set them up, or bring up the fact that they really should be married. I happen not to be one of them. I know that these people just want to see me happy and cared for - and hence I try to put their comments in perspective. They mean well. And most of the time what they have to say is really funny. Case in point is my conversation with Dave. Plus, those single women who get all huffy about people trying to set them up really annoy me. You are single and fine with it. I get it. No need to be all snippy about it.

But I got to thinking about our society in general. Most people would agree that Americans as a whole consider marriage a goal. For them and for others. You should do it while you are young, and if you don't - well there is probably something wrong with you. Then I started thinking about some the most popular sitcoms/dramas on network television. Here is my list:
1. Friends - (it lives on in syndication!)
2. The CSI's
3. The Office
4. Scrubs
5. Sex and the City
6. Crossing Jordan
7. The Law and Order's
8. 24
9. Criminal Minds
10. Grey's Anatomy
I could name many others. Those are just a smattering of shows - but it would be hard to debate their popularity. My point is that when you start to take a look at the characters in these shows a common theme appears: Most of them are single. So then I starting thinking about shows that showcase married people. This was a much harder list to think of.
1. King of Queens
2. Medium
3. Everybody Loves Raymond
4. Desperate Housewives
And that is pretty much all I could think of.

So here is the dichotomy: Our society as a whole tells you your goal should be to get married. But the most popular shows on television are full of single people! Why aren't there more shows full of married people? That's the goal isn't it? Is it just better television to watch single people flounder around looking for Mr. or Mrs. Right? Probably.

I don't really have a point. It was just an interesting thought I had.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanne:

FYI...

"E-Harmony" is too costly, and way OVER-RATED.

I've had good experiences with:

www.singlec.com

If you've got questions... just ask me.